How to Choose a Tree and Lawn Care Specialist Perfect for You and Your Lawn!
- Determine what you want from a lawn company. Lawn care companies provide a range of services including mowing, maintenance, aeration, irrigation repair & blowouts, seeding, landscaping, fertilizer and pest control applications, and ornamental tree care.
- Find out which companies provide service in your neighborhood. Before looking in the yellow pages or answering an ad, ask your neighbors for a recommendation. It’s a great way to determine the reputation of a company and the quality service it provides. Click here to go to our directory of members to find a qualified professional in your area.
- Ask for a tree and lawn inspection and a free estimate for service. Companies that quote a price without seeing your trees or lawn are only guessing what your lawn might need.
- Ask about the price system and what services are included. The tree and lawn care company may offer a yearly contract or a simple verbal agreement giving the customer the right to discontinue service at any time. Find out what happens if you have a problem between applications. Will the service calls be free or is there a charge?
- Consider annual costs as well as cost per application. Many companies allow you to pay after each treatment and may offer a discount if you pay the annual cost up front.
- Have a complete understanding with the company before work starts. Get an explanation of what the service can and cannot do. Find out what kind and amount of treatments are included in the proposed program, approximately when they will be applied, and what results can be expected.
- Find out what is, and is not, guaranteed. Some services may offer a guarantee of performance. Others may offer refunds if they fail to meet your expectations.
- Make sure the tree and lawn care service is licensed for the application of tree and lawn care products as required by state law. Call the state Department of Agriculture or Environmental Department for details.
- Professional membership. Be sure the company is affiliated with one or more professional tree and lawn care associations and is active in the community. Professional organizations keep members informed on new developments in pest control methods, safety, training, research and regulation. Most associations have a code of ethics for members to follow. Affiliation with a professional group indicates the company strives for quality in its work. Ask whether they carry the Symbol of Good Practice showing membership in the PLANET: Professional Landcare Network.
- If you want further information on the company’s service record, contact your local Better Business Bureau.
- Please refer to winter watering hints in the month of December.
The tree and lawn care service you select will become your partner in maintaining a thick and healthy lawn. In addition to providing specific services, they may advise you on proper mowing and irrigation of your lawn. Ask them about water conservation techniques. If you have concerns or questions, call your tree and lawn care service first.
Look for These Logos
This information is available from the PLANET: Professional Landcare Network is a non-profit trade association representing lawn care companies throughout the United States, Canada and other countries.